May 03, 2011

Adam

Adam, age 8
Brockport, NY (1992)

I found this pic in a collage my mom created. It's my sister, brother and me feeding ducks by a pond. I'm obviously the fabulous one with my knee popped, wrist broken backwards, and hand on my hips! All very "You go girl!" right?

I figured out I was gay around the age of 15.

I discovered when watching late night Skinomax, I was more interested in looking at the guys instead of the girls.

I've since looked back, pondering why I had such a strong interest in Shredder from the "Ninja Turtles." Mask + leather + gear = HOT!

I came out to my parents at 16, and remember the night in great detail. I decided early during the day that tonight was the night.


I was all nervous and couldn't sit still as we were watching the great TV lineup of "Everybody Loves Raymond" and "Antiques Road Show."

My dad was like, "What's up with you tonight?" I couldn't find the courage to say the words "I'm gay" and just said "I have to tell you something but I can't say it."

Without skipping a beat, my father says "You're gay?" I said "Yep." He then said, "We've known for a while, but wondered when you would figure it out."

So when I saw this picture again, I understood their reaction when I came out.
Today, I still have this fabulous flair - and I'm glad I was born this way!

1 comment:

MeanDonnaJean said...

"Without skipping a beat, my father says "You're gay?" I said "Yep." He then said, "We've known for a while, but wondered when you would figure it out.""

I LOVE it! Great story. Like I've been sayin' all along...we parents know LOOOONG before ya'll do. And we really ARE okay with it.

Well, at least *I'M* okay with it :-)