May 11, 2011

Jakob

Jakob, age 6
Montréal, Québec, Canada (1996)

Me and my two brothers and my sister were more or less raised gender-blind.
My sister used to play with cars and boys' toys and my brothers and I had dolls to play with, too. Nevertheless I'm the only gay one.

And yes, I was born this way.

Around 5th grade, I wasn't able to take my eyes off of other boys in the locker changing room. However, I didn't realize that I was gay.

Like everyone else, I thought one day I was going to marry a wife and start a family.

When I was a child, my parents rarely made me feel that they were by my side or able to console me or help me.

Or even to just listen to me.

So I learned to solve my problems on my own.

I did not comprehend that I was gay until I was around age 15, and I first came out to my best friend.

When I came out to my parents at 17, I felt nervous and dizzy.
But they accepted who I am, and nowadays we get along well with each other.

Jakob's first, famous-person same sex crush:
Pierre Boulanger (in "Mister Ibrahim & The Flowers of the Quran")
______________________________________________________

Click here - "Born This Way: Real Stories of Growing Up Gay" book
Click here - "My First Gay Crush Blog"
Click to follow my blog with Bloglovin'

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

When my brother came out to our parents back in the late 1970s, my parents -- who were not exactly surprised -- thought they would have to call an ambulance for him. He turned white as a sheet, started sweating, and they could practically hear his heart pounding. I, of course, was eavesdropping from the top of the stairs, and my first thought -- considering how our father loved to place blame where none would be found by any rational person -- was that I would somehow take the fall for such a revelation. Like most kids, the word "faggot" was a big part of our vocabulary, not even knowing exactly what it meant. So of course during our many childhood tiffs I called my brother just that. Surprisingly enough, I was blamed!