May 07, 2011

Joshua

Joshua, age 12
San Luis Obispo, CA (1989)


I guess this was my "Brokeback Mountain" phase. My mom's side of the family were all cowboys, and this was taken right before I completely gave up on trying to fit in.

I always knew I was "different" than other little boys. I loved to put on makeup and play dress up.

And I wanted to be a Solid Gold dancer or Wonder Woman when I grew up.

I don't do well with labels, but I guess if I had to pigeonhole myself,
I would identify as gender queer.

Because when I read the definition of gender queer for the first time, it sounded just like me.


I've been married to a woman, I've procreated, and I've had sex with men and women. I'm capable of having crushes on either, but one thing I've never felt,
is confusion. I always knew just who I was. And that was just - me.

If you're young and queer, be proud.
You will always be cooler than everyone else.
___________________________________________________

2 comments:

oh look, stars! said...

" And I wanted to be a Solid Gold dancer or Wonder Woman when I grew up. "

That's among the coolest dreams (:

lulu said...

you are way cooler!